The essential ingredient throughout the world when it comes to making certain furniture and other fixtures and objects used in offices and homes are machines based on drilling concept.
Now we know, that there are two types of drilling techniques – with handheld drilling machine and with a drill press, though the latter is generally preferred because of the presence of motor in it, along with perfectly shaped holes formed since the driving force is a machine.
So, What’s a drill press
As the name suggests, a drill press or a drill machine is simply a tool used to produce holes in hard surfaces like wood and metal. The drill which comes in various sizes (varying from 0.5mm to 38mm) is fitted in an axle which is then used to produce perfect holes on the workpiece which is fixed in a vice.
From hand-held drills to floor-mounted drills, there are types of drill machines. Other than drilling a drill press can perform functions such as countersinking, counterboring, and tapping various size of holes. More important information aboutdrill machines you can read on themostspruce, it’s related to best product reviews.
How to operate it
After the wooden metal workpiece is fixed on the vice, you can begin drilling. Firstly, set the controls of the drill press. Although the controls are different from one drill press to another, the basic ones remain the same.
1. The Speed: Set the RPM of the spindle by shifting the driving belt from one pulley to another pulley. Speed is one of the essential components of effective drilling. The smaller the pulley is on the chuck axis, the faster the RPM is. It is advised to drill metal at lower speeds and use higher speeds on wood.
The perfect formula to set the speed of the drill is- RPM= CS * 4/D;
Where RPM= Revolutions per minute,
CS= Recommended cutting speed,
D= Diameter of the drill.
2. Fix the drill bit: After setting the speed, insert the bit between the three jaws of the chuck, and tighten them with the key beside it. But remember to remove the chuck before turning on the drill, or else it can cause dangerous accidents. A thumb rule- while digging a larger hole, always drill a small hole first. This improves the accuracy and helps to guide the larger drill to result in a satisfactory drill.
3. Set the table accordingly: It is recommended to adjust the table at the desirable height according to your convenience.
4. Set a dust channel: Drilling can be pretty dusty, and sawdust collects in the workspace. This can cause inconvenience and make the process unclear. Make a dust channel below the fence so that the dust has a place to go.
5. Finally, Drill your heart out.
Various types of drills
- Sensitive and upright: This type of drill presses is handy when yours is lightweight.
- Drill with a radial arm: You would want to use this particular type of drill when huge workpieces are concerned since you move the drill press machine to the workpiece itself.
- Heavy-duty type upright drill: If you need the hole of a large size this is the ideal type to use since the geared head(which is spindle-shaped) is perfect for materials which are heavy.
The maintenance of these machines is as important as the reasons to use them. You might consider:
- Keeping them clean, oiled and lubricated enough to reduce friction when in use.
- Dust should be removed along with small granules of wood or metal, from time to time.
- Put a coating of oil or paint to prevent rust from settling in.
- It is suggested to keep the speed low while working, which ensures lesser damage to the parts in motion.