Truck accidents are uniquely difficult legal cases to handle. Without a lawyer on your side, you are risking not receiving the most compensation possible. You deserve every penny you are due, and your truck accident lawyer can help ensure you get it.
What Should I Do if I’ve Been in a Truck Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, it’s important that you follow a step-by-step process. Truck accidents involve huge vehicles which can produce tons of force, leading to massive damage. Additionally, trucks have multiple interested parties that all want to settle your case for as little money as possible.
Don’t let this happen to you. Ensure that you follow these basic steps so that you have the best outcome possible after your truck accident:
- Determine whether anyone is injured at the scene. If this is the case, immediately contact emergency services for help. Everything else can wait. Your health is the most important factor.
- Report the incident to the authorities.It is illegal to flee the scene after an accident. The police must be contacted and a police report must be filed. Ensure that you receive a copy of this police report.
- Gather evidence. Take pictures of the accident, ask nearby stores if they have any video footage, and obtain eyewitness testimony. Anything you can use to help strengthen your case goes a long way.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other involved drivers. Also, make sure you get as much information as you can about the truck driver’s employer, company, and any contact person there. You may need to reach out to them later on.
- DON’T SAY YOU’RE SORRY. Even as a courtesy, you should avoid anything that can be seen as admitting fault. As hard as this can be for those that were raised to be polite, you should avoid this at all costs. Furthermore, don’t speak with any insurance representatives for the other drivers until you’ve conferred with a lawyer representing your interests.
What Elements are Needed to Prove the Truck Driver Was at Fault?
In general, a truck accident case needs to meet the following stepwise criteria:
- The truck driver was responsible for driving safely.
- The truck driver did not adhere to that responsibility.
- The truck driver is therefore considered negligent and this negligence led to the victim being injured.
- The victim suffered injuries and his or her car suffered damages that need to be addressed.
How Much is My Case Worth?
It’s impossible to say how much a truck accident case is worth without first evaluating all of the key elements. It depends on the victims’ specific injuries, the extent of these injuries, issues relating to the truck driver, and many other details.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident and want to have your case evaluated by a truck accident lawyer, you should strongly consider doing so. These legal professionals will help you get more than you would on your own while also protecting your interests. Call today!